Are you living in the best assisted living community? Or are you soon going to shift into one? No wonder the initial step of getting into assisted living West Los Angeles can be tough, but aftercare is also essential. It is seen that seniors who shift into these communities forget about their overall health.
It is not only the responsibility of a caregiver to ensure your health. But you need to too. This is a collective responsibility because as you age, your metabolism is going to slow down, and your senses are going to weaken. Further, it can lead to the development of chronic conditions.
Thus, to ensure your overall well-being while living in an assisted facility, here are some simple yet smart nutritional tips which you can follow:
- More and more liquids – As you age, the sense of thirst lessens without a doubt. It is essential to drink plenty of water a day, even if you don’t feel thirsty. This will keep you hydrated. However, it is not necessary to only drink water; you can even go for fat-free milk or juices, etc.
- Variety of food – Don’t just stick to one kind of food. Try eating a variety of food as this will help you get all the nutrients. Eating a healthy meal that has proteins is essential. Plus, combine fruits, whole grains, low-fat dairy products, etc., in your diet.
- Minimize your salt intake – As you age and move to assisted living West Los Angeles, your sense of taste also declines. This can lead to more consumption of salt. The consumption of more salt in your diet can result in high blood pressure. This can be the ultimate cause of stroke, kidney issues, etc. Thus, ensure that you are not consuming salt more than 2300 mg in a day.
- Reduce the consumption of sugar – Another thing that you need to do while living in a community is to reduce your sugar consumption. Refined sugar is known to have empty calories, which have no nutritional value. Thus, slowly reducing your high sugar consumption can be beneficial. You can have other naturally sweet food items like fruits, yams, etc.
- Say yes to healthy fats – It can be a wrong decision to cut off fats from your diet while living in assisted living West Los Angeles. Instead, you need to say no to saturated and trans fats. Choosing healthy monounsaturated as well as polyunsaturated fats can be beneficial in protecting you from various diseases. Plus, they can help in supporting your mood as well as your mental well-being. Opt for olive oil, avocado, fish, etc., which are high in omega-3 fatty acids
It is necessary to take care of your overall well-being while living in assisted living West Los Angeles. Being completely dependent on the caregivers can be a wrong move. Thus, ensure that you are following the above-mentioned tips and looking after your health in a proper way.
Leave a Reply