Do you have too much sugar in your diet? Sugar can be a weakness, and many people do crave it, and so many things do have sugar in them, so it can be hard to avoid.
If you are a senior and you do have too much sugar in your diet, there are many natural sweeteners for you to replace sugar with.
If your doctor has advised you to limit your sugar intake, these sugar substitutes, natural sweeteners, and artificial sweeteners are some great options for you to try.
Too Much Sugar in Your Diet
If you have a diet that is high in sugar there are multiple health conditions that can affect you internally, or it can be a major cause of obesity.
Too much sugar in your diet can cause type 2 diabetes, heart disease, or obesity. A diet that is high in sugar, can also cause tooth decay.
Also, a diet that is high in sugar can also lead to poor cognitive function, which can affect memory, and cause dementia.
Healthy Sugar Replacements
There are many different types of sugar replacements, and it can be difficult to know what is the right one for you to use. We have a list for you to help you to decide what would be best for you to choose, we hope it will help you.
There are 4 different types of sugar substitutes, natural sweeteners, novel sweeteners, sugar alcohols, and artificial sweeteners.
When you talk with your doctor, it is important to know why you need to lower your sugar intake, if you have diabetes it might be better for you to use artificial sweeteners, if you have high blood pressure, natural sweeteners can raise your blood sugar, so make sure you ask your doctor first.
The Best Artificial Sweeteners
Artificial sweeteners are good for people with diabetes, as they do not raise your blood sugar. With artificial sweeteners, the sweetness is more intense, so you do not have to use that much.
Some artificial sweeteners have no calories, so they can also help with weight control, so it can help you with weight loss.
All artificial sweeteners must be approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The Food and Drug Administration will also provide a daily consumption guide.
Sugar alcohols can be very helpful with weight control, and diabetes management, because the body does not fully absorb the sugar alcohols, but you must be careful about the amount that you consume, as it can lead to digestive problems.
Novel sweeteners come from natural sources but are refined. Stevia is a novel sweetener, it can help with weight management, and diabetes, and it can also help to lower your blood pressure.
Natural sweeteners are popular, but when possible it is best to get unrefined as it is more healthy for you. It is important to be careful with the consumption of natural sweeteners, as they are high in calories.
Substitutes and Sweeteners For Sugar
Here is a little list for you of the most common sugar substitutes.
- Maple syrup is a great natural sweetener, it has antioxidants, rich in minerals, calcium, potassium, iron, zinc, and manganese. It is high in calories, so do not overuse it.
- Date paste is another natural sweetener, it is high in fiber, minerals, and vitamins, so when you use it, it can add more nutritional value to your diet.
- Honey is another natural sweetener that has antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. It is easier for the body to digest than table sugar. It is high in salaries, so do not consume too much.
Coconut sugar is another natural sweetener, it is unrefined, so it has all of the vitamins and minerals, and it does not affect your blood sugar. It is high in salaries, so you should not use it much.
Agave nectar is very sweet so you do not need much, it is high in calories, and it has a lot of fructose, which can lead to weight gain.
Monk fruit is another natural sugar substitute that is very sweet, so you will not need to use it much.
- Stevia is a plant extract sweetener, with very low calories, it is much sweeter than sugar, so you will not need to use it much. It is considered to be one of the healthiest sugar alternatives.
Xylitol is a sugar alcohol, it is low in calories, but it is very sweet, so you will not need to use it much.
- Splenda is an artificial sweetener, that is very sweet, so you will not need to use much of it, it is good for people who are looking to limit their calorie intake.
- Sunett is an artificial sweetener, it is good to use in cooking, it is very sweet, so again you will not need to use much of it to get the sweetness that you are looking for.
Reducing Sugar in Your Diet
There are great benefits to reducing your sugar intake, it can help with diabetes, your blood pressure, sugar level, and your weight loss.
Here are a few tips for you on how you can control your sugar intake, and improve your overall health.
- You should drink more water every day, and cut or reduce sugary sodas.
- Eat fresh fruits instead of processed deserts.
- Drink natural fruit juices instead of processed ones.
- Add fresh fruit to your cereal, instead of adding sugar.
- Eat vegetables as snacks and not processed snacks.
- Buy unsweetened products.
- We hope that this article has been helpful for you and it will help you to reduce your sugar intake. All of our assisted living communities that we work with, all promote a balanced diet, to promote senior health.
Here at Loving Assisted Living, we are concerned about senior health, and if you find that you need to find a senior living community for your loved one, we are here to help you find the right one.